Sunday, April 29, 2012

Chicken Sook for the Soul

It's been a looong week here at our house. Ace started running a temp Monday night. A little vomiting and a serious lack of appetite. We kept him home all week from daycare (and Abby too).

One night (I don't remember which- they all run together) I put the babies to bed only to hear Ace crying about ten minutes later. I went to check on him and this is the conversation we had:

Me: "What's wrong?"
Ace: "I'm MAD."
Me: "You're mad?"
Ace: "YES."
Me: "What's the matter?"
Ace: "Pillow messy." (points) "Elmo messy."(points again) I wish I could express the tone of his voice. He was completely exasperated. lol

Yep, he had urped. Nice.

By Friday, 1) I needed to get. out. of. the. house. and 2) I decided maybe I should get him in to the doctor. So I worked for the first half of the day and then ran home to pick him up and go to the pediatrician. Thankfully Dr. K has always made time to see them the few times they've been sick.

They looked him over and did a strep test. **Note to self: strep test triggers Ace's gag reflex. Additional note to self: surefire way to get him to stop urping is provide a receptacle to urp into. If he can't hurl directly onto his own clothes or mine, it's just not worth doing.**  The rapid test came back negative, but we should know Monday about the lab test.

Here he is on the way out. By then he had a sucker and was pretty happy. I can't believe how blonde his hair looks!


So yesterday we did soccer games, etc. And Abby starts running a fever. Fantastic. 

This morning, they slept in after a 6 am diaper change. We went straight from their bed to the couch. We watched a ludicrous amount of Barney and they didn't seem to want to move. I figured since I was trapped anyway, I might as well read a little. 

I'm in the process of rereading the Sookie Stackhouse novels. They're the ones the HBO series TrueBlood is based on. I've never watched it, but the books are good in a semi-trashy romance novel kind of way. 

And then it happens. Ace wants to read too. And Abby. So you'd think they'd want their own picture books. Nope. Has to be mine. Has to be a Sookie book. I got them each one and they sat beside me, each with a book cracked open and they "read" with me for at least 30 minutes. I would have taken a picture, but none of us were dressed decently. Who would have thought they could be entertained with a non-picture book for so long? And at this point I'm just grateful they can't actually read. SO not age appropriate. But hey, if it makes a sick baby happy, I'm all for it.



No comments: