Saturday, January 29, 2011

Where I Am From

I am from books, from Strawberry Shortcake and soft part blankies.
I am from the house on the corner, yard full of kids behind the chain link fence.
I am from the sunflower, the fields of waving golden wheat.
I am from card parties and hugging, from Arlene and Phil and the Forsheys.
I am from the Abell's stubborn lower jaw and dirt track racing.
From never say "hate" and He will not give you more than you can handle.
I am from "Jesus Loves the Little Children" and faith is strong, deep and personal.
I'm from Salina Dutch and a little bit of everything (so don't judge people by the color of their skin), popcorn balls and fancy cakes.
From Uncle Garry chasing Timmy up the tree in Tennessee, the reunions every August, and games-every sport with a little brother who never knew and may never know how much he was loved.
I am from photo albums on the bookshelf, memories in the attic and keepsakes stashed here and there. Treasures just beginning to be discovered, embraced and shared.



I took this idea from a blogger friend.
The poem originally came from George Ella Lyon.

Now here is the challenge for all of my blogger friends out there.
Here is the template, you fill it in with where you are from, and post it on your blog.
If you do this please come back by and leave me a comment with a link to your blog so I can enjoy yours as well.


2 comments:

Boni Lady said...

love your poem... I could visualize it...so fun!

Martha said...

I think it turned out GREAT! Well done, thanks for playing along.